The Guadeloupe was discovered by Christopher Columbus on his second voyage in 1493. Occupied by the French in 1636, Colbert acquired it in 1664 and conceded to the West India Company. The Guadeloupe becomes a Crown Colony in 1674 and was repeatedly occupied by the British between 1756 and 1802. Returned to France by the Peace of Amiens in 1802, it was again occupied in 1810 and remained French until 1813, when she was exchanged Sweden. Returned to France by the Treaty of Paris in 1814 and 1815, it was not recovered by the royal power in 1816.